Civil Contingencies Officer (CCO) Fixed Term
Civil Contingencies Officer (CCO)
£32,798 per annum
Fixed Term Contract to March 2024
(extension subject to funding and performance)
Ever thought about a career in Civil Contingencies and Emergency Preparedness?
This is a great opportunity
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and highly motivated individual to join our innovative civil contingencies organisation that delivers an excellent service to a wide and varied range of public sector partners.
The Staffordshire Civil Contingencies Unit (CCU) exists to work for the responders within Staffordshire Resilience Forum. The successful candidate will join an established unit of officers based in Stone, working with councils, NHS Trusts, emergency services and other public sector organisations in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent who work closely together to prepare for emergencies, guided by the Civil Contingencies Act.
We deal with a range of risks including flooding, major fires, loss of electricity, pandemic and while they don’t happen often, we know that we help Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent to be better prepared and are there to support organisations deal with the crisis.
The majority of our work is contingency planning and capability development delivered through project management and we are looking for someone who can demonstrate that they can effectively manage a multi-agency project to a successful conclusion.
The desired candidate will:
• Have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write clearly and concisely to a wide range of audiences and IT literate with advanced application of Microsoft Office applications. A degree or diploma in a relevant Contingency Planning or Emergency planning discipline is desirable.
• Be able to evidence thorough knowledge of the Civil Contingencies Act 2004, what it means to the CCU and its stakeholders.
• Demonstrate recent experience of forward planning and operational delivery in a contingency planning and/or emergency planning role.
• Have experience of a structured, controlled method of managing projects with the ability to work under pressure to tight and consistently changing deadlines.
• Be responsible with a professional attitude, self-motivated and with a pro-active approach to work and able to use own initiative. Able to multi-task, plan, prioritise and work as a member of a team and sometimes independently.
Please be aware that this job will involve some home working and some work in office locations every week; currently in CCU’s base and partner premises. From time to time, you will also be required to travel to other stakeholder locations in the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent area.
The successful candidate when trained will join a 24/7 on-call rota where staff currently provide continuous cover for a set period on a rotation basis.
You will also be required on occasions to set up and operate the Unit’s Mobile Control Unit and associated equipment for which personal protective equipment (PPE) and training will be provided. You will be the holder of a full UK driving licence and you must provide your own transport for work purposes. (Essential Car User Allowance will be paid as soon as the successful candidate joins the on-call rota).
For more information on the Civil Contingencies Unit and the job in particular, please visit the website at www.staffordshireprepared.gov.uk or speak to Bethan Morgan on 01785 898608. Previous candidates unsuccessful at shortlisting need not apply.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 16th October 2022, following shortlisting, interviews will take place soon afterwards. Interviews will be conducted in the week commencing 31st October 2022 at the CCU which is based at Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Headquarters, Pirehill, Stone.
The successful applicant (subject to reference, security and medical clearance) will then start with the Unit as soon as possible afterwards.
Any enquiries regarding the recruitment process please contact Holly Arterton HR Officer on 07974 204197
Benefits of working for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service:
- Enhanced Annual Leave Entitlement
- Generous Pension scheme
- Access to Onsite Gyms and Fitness Advisor
- Free Parking at most sites
- Enhanced Maternity Package
Benefits are paid on satisfying the eligibility criteria
- Occupational Health - On-site fully funded Occupational health centre to support all employees.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - An EAP is an online and telephone employee benefit designed to help you deal with personal and professional problems that could be affecting your home life or work life, health and general wellbeing.
- Eye Tests
- Flexible Working Scheme - Flexible working in operation to allow employees, where possible, to flexible start and finish work meeting both personal and the organisational needs.
- The Firefighter Charity - “Support the mental, physical and social needs of all serving and retired members of the UK's fire family. Here's everything you need to know” https://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/
- Cycle Scheme
- Blue Light Card
- Flamesavers - A credit union offering SFRS personnel loans and saving accounts.
- Rewards for Rescue
- Medical assessment
- DBS check